The BSc (Hons) Biomedical Science (pathology lab based) degree apprenticeship has been developed through consultation with pathology laboratory employers and is co-delivered, meeting the requirements for a Healthcare Science Practitioner (Biomedical Scientist) apprenticeship.

The programme has expanded rapidly over the past couple of years as the university has worked closely with employer partners to offer this industry-relevant programme and meet employer workforce development needs.


This alternative route to higher level qualifications can be accessed by your current employees or used as a tool to attract new talent to your business.

  • Develop and up-skill your workforce in a cost-effective way.
  • Recruit and develop ambitious, motivated employees.
  • Increase retention by offering your workforce the chance to develop and progress.
  • Retain your talent and gain access to a broader pool of employees.
  • Tailor learning to your requirements.
  • Work around your commitments with flexible study options.

Deborah Seddon, Haematology and Blood Bank Manager, Salford Royal NHS Foundation Trust

“We are currently supporting an employee through the BSc (Hons) Biomedical Science apprenticeship programme at the University of Salford. The initial interest within the NHS in apprenticeships came from the impact the levy was having on our budget.

I really believe apprenticeships are the way forward for our career – being able to grow your own talent and nurture the individual along the way results in a more knowledgeable Biomedical Scientist at the end. The apprentice will have the opportunity to encounter more situations with support before they start working alone. I also believe it is healthy to have employees on such training programmes in the department as it keeps everyone on their toes – we are all continually refreshing our knowledge of developments in the field.

I am passionate about Salford and about increasing the opportunities for individuals across the region and apprenticeships are the perfect route for people to pursue a career across a number of different sectors.”

Shane Rhodes, Apprentice Biomedical Scientist, Manchester Royal Infirmary

“The Biomedical Science degree apprenticeship and my role within the haematology and transfusion lab at Manchester Royal Infirmary go hand in hand – the on the job learning in the workplace really helps to consolidate the knowledge and theory from the classroom. If you are looking to get into a career as a Biomedical Scientist, then it really is a no brainer to go down the apprenticeship route – the real-world experience in the lab makes you such an asset to the team right from day one.”


The apprenticeship levy was introduced in April 2017 and requires all employers operating in the UK, with a pay bill of over £3 million each year to invest in apprenticeships.

The funding policy supports the changes to the way apprenticeships in England are paid for, underpinned by the apprenticeship levy of 0.5% of the annual pay bill for companies paying over £3 million per year.

There is also a co-investment model for companies who will not be paying into the levy. The government will cover 95% of the cost of the apprenticeship and the employer will only have to contribute the remaining 5%. Once payments have been declared to HMRC, employers will now have access to a digital apprenticeship account from which they will be able to access funding to pay for apprenticeship training.

There is also an opportunity for larger levy paying organisations to transfer up to 25% of their unspent levy funds to other, smaller employers to support their workforce development.

Get in touch now to find out more:

0161 295 4612